About This Blog

Xenophon's Ghost covers military history and wargaming from the ancient period to modern times.

Monday, May 28, 2012

Hellenic Progress

I'm finishing up bases for additional Psiloi and two Artillery elements for my Hellenistic Morph collection. When complete, I will have enough elements to field two complete Hellenistic Armies from a list of 38 possibilities, including the Macedonians, Successors, and Hellenistic Greeks. I will use my Spartan Army initially for Hellenistic Greeks that require more than two Spear; I plan to paint up additional Hoplites later.


Greek and Roman Busts
Photo from my recent visit to the National Archaelogical Museum, Naples, Italy
I took inventory of completed or almost completed elements to help me decide what to paint next. My first goal is to expand my options for a single Army, rounding out the collection for the second Army later.  As of today, I have completed:
  • 12 Psiloi
  • 4 Auxilia
  • 2 Spear
  • 6 Pike
  • 2 Knight
  • 3 Cavalry
  • 2 Light Horse
With this set, I can field 12 different Book II Armies:
  • Alexandrian Macedonian (II/12)
  • Alketas (II/16c)
  • Pyrrhic (II/27a)
  • Eight Hellenistic Greeks (using Spartan elements at times) (II/31b,c,d,e, g,h,i,j)
  • Later Macedonians (II/35b)
I have two Elephants cleaned up, but I am waiting for an order of "Green Stuff" modeling putty to arrive.  The Essex-brand Elephants are made in three pieces, so I need the putty to fill in the seams.
Once the Elephants are ready, I will be able to field 13 additional Armies.

In the meantime, I will paint up additional Auxilia.  Four more Auxilia bases will yield four more Armies, a good return on investment!

When I posted photos of the Hellenistic elements recently, the posting resulted in a fruitful discussion in the Yahoo DBA Group on washes.  I only used a light ink wash; many viewers recommended a darker wash to bring out a better contrast.  I experimented with different washe techniques on eight Psiloi elements.  I'll posted comparative photos in a future post, once the basing work is completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment